As a parent, the most important decision that you can take is to select the right school for your child. This choice, if made wisely, has the potential to pave the way for his future development and convert him into a responsible citizen of the country. While choosing the school to enroll your kid, there are certain factors that need to be taken into consideration. The same factors are more or less considered handy for selecting preschools and child care centres as well. Here are some tips that might be handy for parents and would-be parents:
1. Check out the student-teacher relationship in a school to determine its comparative merit. Remember that the teacher instills the much needed curiosity in a student for his life-long learning. Hence, conduct a preliminary investigation before admitting your child.
2. Please understand that a child needs to be encircled by words during the initial days of his studentship. Make sure that your chosen school has a rich library as half of the child’s learning would be imparted inside the library itself.
3. Make sure that the school you have decided for your child has quality teachers for doling out lessons on Mathematics. The foundation in the subject is absolutely necessary for your child to make any headway into the world of academics.
4. It is important that a school focuses on the overall development of a child and not on some archaic systems of evaluation. Experiential or practical learning has become the order of the day today and it is important that the school introduces the same before you can select it for your child.
5. While selecting a school, see that the school has enough scope for the students to indulge in extra-curricular activities. As they say, all work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
6. The teachers constitute the lifeblood of any school. Good teachers not only teach well but motivate students to achieve hitherto unscaled heights. Hence, the quality of teachers should be one of the primary determinants while hand-picking the right school for your child.
7. Don’t overemphasize on the brand name. Sometimes the lesser known schools are much better in terms of pedagogy and course structure. Conduct your own research and don’t bank too much on the publicity factor as publicity is often misleading. Remember that the great schools were once unknown entities as well.